Ruston RK 270 Crankshaft Replacement.Client:
Port Authorities of Trinidad & TobagoIndustry:
Laser Alignment and certification of original engine bedplate, In-situ repair of original entablature block, to facilitate fitting of oversized cylinder liners, Replace all Connecting rod and Piston assemblies, with OEM supplied parts, Examination and subDate:
August 2017 – Feb 2018
GSE were contracted directly by the Port Authorities of Trinidad and Tobago to replace a Crankshaft onboard ‘Incat Built’ T&T Spirit, following a Catastrophic main engine overspeed failure..
Working alongside the original Engine manufacturer MAN Diesel UK and Incat trained fabricators, the failed Crankshaft was replaced during a lay-up period at the Caribbean Shipyard facility in Chaguarmas, Trinidad.
To enable replacement of the Crankshaft a large section of the Vessel’s side shell was cut away to facilitate removal of the entablature block and crankshaft. A detailed structural procedure calculated by Incat, enabled the repair to be carried out whist still afloat, without having to dry-dock the Vessel.
During the lay-up period of the vessel, several specific modifications were carried on original engine components, including complete re-boring of entablature block to facilitate oversized cylinder liners.
Along with replacement of original ABB Turbocharger, throughout the Vessel, to an upgraded and more efficient OEM Turbocharger.
Work specification included within the Crankshaft replacement schedule:
- Laser Alignment and certification of original engine bedplate.
- In-situ repair of original entablature block, to facilitate fitting of oversized cylinder liners
- Replace all Connecting rod and Piston assemblies, with OEM supplied parts.
- Main and Large End bearings were replaced throughout the engine and re-tensioned as per OEM specification.
- Overhaul of all, gear driven engine pumps.
- Ultra-sonic overhaul of original after-coolers.
- Examination and subsequent repair of Main Engine Exhaust system, including specialist repair of original exhaust manifolds.
- Repair and re-calibration of main engine governing, protection and monitoring systems
- Replacement of original Turbochargers, with high efficiency OEM supplied Turbochargers.
On completion of the main engine overhaul work, GSE, MAN Diesel Service and ABB Turbochargers conducted initial harbour trails to carry out initial no-load bearing runs.
Subsequently followed by DNV witnessed Sea-Trials to verify complete operation of the vessels engines during full load operation.
T&T Spirit returned to active service, operating between the islands of Trinidad and Tobago in April 2018, following the subsequent repairs completed on the Vessels Stbd Outer and Port Inner main engines